Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Random Passage
















Random Passage

In 2001, I visited the Random Passage movie set near New Bonaventure in Trinity Bay and created a web site that has been viewed by thousands of people.  During my most recent trip to that area, I photographed the whole site again and, for the next few days, I will share the images made during that visit.  I have divided the photos into several categories and am creating a new web site that combines the photos taken during both visits.

One of the images this morning shows a man working in a vegetable garden.  The early settlers on the island of Newfoundland faced long, cold winters and had to grow enough food to last throughout the winter.  I can't imagine living all winter on the few vegetables that I grow in my garden!  Last year my potatoes, onions and carrots ran out around Christmas.  If it were 400 years ago, I would probably starve during the long, cold winter. 

The fence made of small trees and branches would have kept the arctic hare and other small mammals out of the vegetable gardens.  Another photo shows fish drying on a "fish flake" and the dried cod would last a long time.  Again, I can't imagine living on salt fish all winter long.

As you view the photos over the next few days, try to imagine what it was like to move to a foreign land over 400 years ago.  On this island were few resources other than fish, a few land mammals, wild berries and small trees for building and heat.  I assume they also ate other plants that we no longer eat. The fact that many survived is amazing - they must have been a hardy lot.  I am not certain what percentage did not survive, but I imagine it was fairly high in the beginning.


Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends

SUMMER SALE - SAVE 50%. 
DETAILS AT: http://www.lanephotography.com/summer-sale-details.htm



Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...