Monday, December 03, 2012

Civitavecchia, Italy 5














Civitavecchia, Italy 5

There was another church near the port that was open so I went inside and made a few images. It was very dark inside this building, which is identified online as the Church of the Virgin. This was an interesting church with paintings and a few nice stained glass windows.

I shared a photo from Florence which showed arms crossed over a traditional Christian cross and I wondered about the meaning of that symbol. It was odd that I had never seen that symbol before and while visiting Italy I saw it two days in a row. I liked the old painting of a monk looking upwards - presumably towards Heaven. I also liked the stained glass window but am not sure of the significance of a few of the symbols which look like modern scenes, leading me to believe that this piece of religious art is relatively recent.



NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR
LINK OF THE DAY







No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...