Saturday, August 15, 2009

Osprey





Today's post isn't really part of the Change Islands series but on the southern island, just a minte or so from the ferry, there is a large osprey nest next to the road. There is a power line passing by, so it is difficult to get a good photo, but the images I took with my 75-300 mm lens were close enough to crop out the wires.

At first quite a few cars were stopped and several people were photographing the adult bird sitting on the nest. Just as I arrived the osprey flew off and began to circle us. It then attempted several landings and I captured several images of the bird as it tried to land in the breezy conditions. It could only approach from one direction since the nearby power lines blocked it from approaching in the other. I am always amazed at the osprey's flying skills.

Feel free to check my Osprey Gallery at:
www.lanephotography.com/birds/osprey.htm

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...