Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Moose





A couple of days ago I hiked my way to the mountains out back. As I was walking along the trail I saw a female moose looking directly at me. Of course I started taking pictures and she just continued to stare at me. Each time I clicked the shutter she would move her ears but she relaxed a little and after a short time she ignored me and started eating the alders along the trail.

The moose kept coming towards me and I kept right on shooting. Then, a calf came into view. At that point I got a little nervous because it was only 30 feet away and female moose are unpredictable when they have a calf. She just continued to eat and moved even closer.

She walked to within 20 feet, then started snorting which made me even more nervous. She directed the young one into the trees and took one final look at me, snorted several times, then disappeared along with the calf.

Being so close to such a large animal was a beautiful experience, and even though I was a little nervous, I managed to take 125 photos in the 7 minutes that we observed each other.

Feel free to check my Moose Galleries at:
http://lanephotography.com/moose/moose.htm




No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...