Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Florence, Italy 5
















       Florence, Italy 5

We left the Duomo and followed one of the narrow roads to the Piazza della Signoria where the first thing I saw were numerous statues, one of them being a replica of Michelangelo's David.  As you can imagine, I was thrilled to see such beautiful and interesting statues and to have the opportunity to photograph them. 

Even though the square is fairly large, I was able to wander from the group a bit, then use the 36x optical zoom on the Nikon P500 to get closer views.  Because there was so much art and history, we were there a while, and though I didn't get much information, I did get lots of photos.  I've selected a few to share with you over the next couple of days.

I was concentrating on the art and my wife pointed out the horse eating a snack out of a bag right in the middle of the square.  Even though the group kept moving, I had to stop to make a photo. For protection, the original David was removed from the piazza in 1873 and a replica was placed there in 1910.  A few other statues in that piazza are replicas as well.  The originals are on display in museums.  Unfortunately there was an estimated three hour wait to get in to see the originals and we had no time to wait that long.

As I photographed the sculptures in the Piazza dell Signoria, I was amazed at the talented sculptors that were living in Europe in those days.  Even the replicas there are magnificent!


Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...