Friday, December 02, 2011

Barcelona Cathedral 1














Barcelona Cathedral 1

The Barcelona Cathedral is located in the Gothic Quarter and the present church, which is very large, was started in 1298. It was added to and renovated over the years including the 20th century. It was built at the site of a church that was destroyed in 925 adding to the rich history.

As we walked through this church, which was being renovated at the time, I was amazed at the number of little chapels all along the sides of the building. I think I photographed them all and will share a few images to give you an idea of the type of art I saw there. I will upload 12-15 images to my daily Blog during this final segment of my European Church Series and encourage you to visit if you are interested in the Christian Art dating back to medieval times.

The first photo shows one of the little chapels with an alter and ornate golden statues and paintings. I did photograph a few stained glass windows in this church, though most of them were so high that it was difficult to capture an interesting view. I also photographed many statues and usually took wide and close views of each.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...