Saturday, August 15, 2015

Bakeapples/Cloudberries













Bakeapples/Cloudberries

A couple of weeks ago I hiked to my bakeapple patch and was disappointed to see that there were very few berries. I assumed it was because the weather in June and July was so cold in this area that the plants didn't produce much fruit. As a result, I decided not to pick any this year and let them grow and produce seeds for next year.

Since the patch is a 1.5 mile (2.4 km) hike from the main highway, I am probably the only person who goes that far to pick the berries. I have been gathering fruit in that location for many years and there have only been a few years that there weren't many berries. A couple of times it was because of a late frost and this year it was because of an extended period of very cold weather.

I do have lots of photos of bakeapples and will share a few over the next few days. Today's images show the berries before they are totally ripe.


Feel free to share with family and friends.

You can view more of my photos on my web site and Facebook Pages:

No comments:

Tulips

Tulips Tulips are a sign of spring, but my tulip gardens are under a foot or two of snow. It will be a while before we see the beauty of the...