Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Winter 11 - Seals





















Winter 11 - Seals

Today's photos of Seals were taken in different communities in Conception Bay and Trinity Bay. 
As many of you know there are huge numbers of seals around the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador.  Scientists estimate the population to be over 6,000,000 animals.  It's no wonder that they are easy to spot lying on the ice during sunny winter days in most costal communities. 

Since they eat fish, you can imagine how many are eaten each day.  It is no wonder why cod and other fish stocks were decimated in the 80s and 90s.  Yet animal rights groups continue to protest the seal hunt in this province.  Many countries have banned the import of seal products and the annual seal hunt is all but gone completely.


While I am not a hunter and don't kill any animals, I don't disagree with killing animals for food.  I eat meat so it would be hypocritical of me to protest killing any animal that is used for food.  I also have a leather jacket and shoes, so it would also be hypocritical of me to protest killing seals because the fur is used to make clothing.  That's why I don't understand the protest against the seal hunt.  Some say it is inhumane to kill seals, but it is no more than raising pigs, cattle and other animals for the sole purpose of providing food and leather. 

Feel free to share with family and friends.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...