Thursday, January 12, 2012

Newtown












Newtown

The town of Newtown has existed since 1850 and has a population of around 400 people. In 1992 it amalgamated with the towns of Wesleyville and Badger's Quay-Valleyfield-Pool's Island and is now part of the community of New-Wes-Valley located in Bonavista Bay.

I visited this area of the province in the summer of 2006 on a very overcast day and didn't take as many photos as I normally would have. I shared photos of the Barbour Premises on April 6, 2009 and July 18, 2006 if you would like to check my Blog to see those images.

From the comments I have received, it appears that many of you are enjoying my Communities of Newfoundland Series. Originally I planned to run this series until the end of January, however, I may continue it until the end of February. I have already chosen photos from over 20 communities and have many, many more to choose from.

You may have noticed that I am sharing photos from all over the province. When I receive a request, I try to show photos of that community as soon as I can (if I have any). Feel free to request photos from any towns, however I don't have any from the Stephenville/Port au Port Peninsula or the south coast west of the Coast of Bays, or much of Labrador. Actually, in 1996, I was lucky to have been the official photographer during George Bush Sr.'s visit to Labrador and flew to several rivers and coastal communities of that area by helicopter. I definitely have to speed up the scanning process because I captured some great aerial views of Labrador during that trip.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This area is beautiful! Again, this community ios also used in the new Gov't NL commercials (Secret place) airing this week.

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...