Monday, August 13, 2007

Pitcher Plant

The fly in today's photos was flying and walking dangerously close to the mouth of a carnivorous pitcher plant. It used to peer over the edge of the entrance to the water-filled "pitcher" where the plant captures insects and absorbs nutrients from the decaying bodies.

I photographed this fly for quite a while wanting to see if it actually was captured by the liquid inside the "pitcher". This was the closest this particular fly came to going inside the cup.

The third photo shows a small insect floating in the liquid inside the sticky liquid. I looked in quite a few pitcher plants and nearly every one had at least one insect.

The photos today illustrate the theme for my Photo of the Day. Flies and plants are "common" but, when photographed in nature, illustrate the drama that goes on day after day without human observation.






No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...