Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fish Flakes 2

Several people wanted more information about fish flakes after receiving my Photo of the Day yesterday.

Last September 3, I sent a series of photos showing how people dry fish these days. The flakes of days gone by were much larger, similar to the ones in the photo today. You can check these photos by going to the link below and scrolling to September 3.
http://kbrucelane.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_archive.html

If you checked the link above, you will have seen a small flake made from wood and chicken wire. The larger wooded structures shown in today's photos were common in outport communities when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s. People used to lay split codfish on these flakes to dry them in the sun. When they were dry (cured), the fish could be stored in root cellars throughout the winter.

Wikipedia has a more lengthy description of Fish Flakes if you want to find out more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_flake



No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...