Friday, May 16, 2014

Icebergs











Icebergs

This looks like a great year for viewing icebergs around the island of Newfoundland.  There are a few along the Southern Shore, in Conception Bay, Trinity Bay Notre Dame Bay and the St. Anthony area. 
I posted photos of a couple of icebergs near Witless Bay and Blackhead a few days ago.  Today I am sharing photos taken on a boat trip to an iceberg in Conception Bay back in 2003.

When we arrived at the iceberg I boarded a small motor boat that took us close to the iceberg for a close view.  I was very excited to be so close to a such a large piece of ice that was formed over 10,000 years ago.  At one point we explored a place where a lot of ice had broken away from the iceberg and the motor cut out.  Our guide could not get it going for around 10 minutes.  I felt a little nervous because there were pieces of ice falling off the berg and I knew that a large piece could fall off any minute that could swamp our small boat.  I was also excited to be so close and I made many images during our brief stop!


A seal had climbed up on a "bergy bit" and was a little nervous of us as we went by in our boat.  I took several photos of it before we headed back to the larger boat that was there to collect ice.

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...