Saturday, August 18, 2012

To The Mountain






To The Mountain

I've hiked to the mountain behind my house once this year and took only about a dozen photographs during the three hours I was walking. I wanted to get some exercise so I walked fairly fast and even though it was the first time this year, I was sitting on the peak admiring the beautiful scenery in an hour.

It was a beautiful clear and hot day, but the breeze up there was very refreshing to say the least. I have been hiking to that mountain for thirty years and the trails were the driest I've ever seen them. Normally you would need knee-high rubber boots to avoid getting wet, but I could have done it in sneakers that day.
The first photo shows "old man's beard" with interesting colours because of the way the light came through the trees. I have made many photos of this organism in the past, but the bright colours caught my attention as I walked and, of course, I stopped to capture the image.

In order to get to the top I had to hike over two fairly steep ridges. I stopped to photograph the still waters of the shallow pond with reflections of the second ridge, trees and bog. I zoomed in on glacial boulder on top of the second ridge to make an image of the large rock, which probably broke as the mile thick ice sheet melted at the end of the last Ice Age around 10,000 years ago.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...