Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Tablelands







Gros Morne National Park, located on the Great Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland, is a World Heritage Site and one of the only places in the world where the Earth's mantle is visible on the surface. The Tablelands are easy to spot in the early morning light as the reddish rock towers above the trees in the first image.

I parked underneath the Tablelands and started to follow one of the trails. In the distance I saw a series of waterfalls so I decided to follow the river in order to make a few images of the water running through the barren hills. In the second photo you can see a little greenery clinging to the cliffs near the steep river valley. Even though these mountains were formed hundreds of millions of years ago, there is very little growth on the rocks.

The last image shows water falling over a 50 foot drop and I wondered what it would be like during the Spring runnoff. I suspect it is a roaring river and waterfall after the snow begins to melt. Today's photos were taken in mid-August, when the least amount of water would be flowing over the waterfall.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...