Monday, January 26, 2009

Drifting Snow




Yesterday I hiked to the hills for the third time in a week. It was quite windy and cold up there and I photographed the freshly fallen snow blowing across a small lake.

The first photo was taken using a wide angle lens and shows the drifting snow in the distance. The dark clouds cleared for a moment and sunlight illuminated the snow and ice on the lake. I took the photos from a little cove where there was very little snow blowing on my camera. The other images were taken using my zoom lens. It emphasized the snow and made it look worse than it really was. I walked for over an hour and a half on snowshoes to reach this spot. Believe it or not, I wasn't cold and I enjoyed the walk tremendously.

I was hoping to see coyotes up there, but didn't. Last year there were a couple of coyotes in the same area and, while I could hear that they were fairly close, I didn't see them. Their tracks were everywhere and they had followed my snowshoe trail for quite a distance. Yesterday there were no signs of them anywhere.

1 comment:

bearkat said...

That was us last week, but we had very cold temps! Chinooking now :)

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...