Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spring 9








Today's photos of the top of the mountain show the results of glacial action that occurred around 10 000 years ago. These images show how the bedrock has been smoothed as the thick ice, rock and sediment moved over it for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Thenext three images show a gouge that is around 3 feet wide and follows along the base of the little knoll.

The last two silhouettes were taken as I walked around the top of the mountain. The shape at the highest peak is a pile of rocks that I add to each trip. One would think that there would be more rocks, but every spring I have to literally start over because the weather causes the pile to fall over during the winter months. The stick, visible in the second last image, is the last remnant of the walking stick I broke off while up there a year or so ago.

One of my former students from 1971 emailed yesterday and thanked me for another earth science lesson and said that thing's haven't changed! I thought about the comment for a moment and agreed that even though my interests have changed over the years, when I began my teaching career I was just getting into photography and was fresh out of university with a degree in geology and always looking at rocks.

My interest in photography has grown deeper over the years and I still have an interest in rocks and minerals. It's been 39 years since I graduated university so I can only imagine how much that has been discovered in the field of geology since then. I wouldn't consider myself a geologist, but I have maintained an interest and made many stock photos of rocks and minerals over the years. Interesting ...

No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...