Monday, April 12, 2010

Moose 2






All photos this morning show the young moose as it moved to within 20 feet of me and I continued to make photographs. It was very curious about me and even though it could smell me and hear my my camera, which was beeping and clicking wildly, it didn't seem very nervous. I even captured a photo of it as it yawned - see the second image. The last image shows the young mosse heading back to its mother. I thought they would move away, but they lay down in the grass for a while before moving deeper into the woods. They were back again later in the day. :)

Yesterday both moose were back again and spent a while eating the trees around my vegetable garden and came to within 20 feet of my front door, from which I was making more photos of these magnificent animals. Even though last year these moose were around my yard, other than walking through my vegetable gardens a few times, they didn't do much damage. They didn't eat the vegetables and I am hoping they won't do much damage this year either.

Very soon, the mother will drive the yearling away and, possibly, give birth to another baby. When the yearlings are first on their own, they are confused and bewildered. If I happen to see it around then, I will probably get some interesting photos as it tries to figure out how to survive on its own.

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...