Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spring 2







Today's photos show views of caribou moss (also known as reindeer moss) that grows in the higher elevations as I hike to the mountain. This time of the year, the moss almost looks like snow in the open areas and on bogs. This is an interesting organism that I have photographed previously, but on that day I liked the contrast between the off whitish colour of the moss and the reddish leaves of the perennial plants growing around and in it.

As I make photos of the things I see in Nature, I am constantly reminded of the wide variety of living things that coexist with us on this planet. While looking for signs and colours of Spring, I was constantly reminded of this fact. These mosses have evolved to survive in very harsh climates, out in the open and exposed to the elements. They also provide food for a number of animals and help build soil in areas where there is little.

No comments:

People

People It's been a while since I shared photos of people going about their daily activities, but I'll add more photos to my People 4...