Thursday, May 12, 2011

Moose 3






Moose 3

Yesterday was an exciting day around here. I was outside working when my wife called to tell me there was a moose by my son's house next door. I grabbed my camera and walked slowly across the trail to find my daughter-in-law standing close to a young moose that was on its knees eating the new shoots of grass. I took 225 photos before I ran out of battery power. I'll share a few of these images over the next few days.

Here's the way my wife described it:

You'd just LOVE it in our garden today - there are 2 moose running around the garden all day!!! There's a mother moose (who's pregnant again) and her female yearling. Momma is trying to drive the young one away but she won't go. It's amazing to watch - such drama!!! The Mom chases and butts the yearling and the poor little one is screaming. Strangely, the Momma is at the same time keeping a watchful eye on her offspring. Once the young one runs far enough away, Mom circles back and sneaks a look. The pictures just won't do all the drama much justice!

The young moose is still a very big animal but it was so tame it let me get pretty close. Since I had my 70-300 mm, I had to back up in order to make images with the entire animal in the shot. It was interesting to watch it walking on its two front knees. I included part of the house to show you how close it was.

To be honest, this moose was very skinny and had two scars on its side so I thought it may be sick. At this point there was no sign of the mother.

I have three Moose Galleries at: http://www.lanephotography.com/moose/moose.htm

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...