Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Ferryland Lighthouse






Ferryland Lighthouse

This morning I've decided to share photos of Ferryland Lighthouse with people all around it. I first photographed this lighthouse in 1981 but have been there a few times since then and have shared several photos in the past. When I visited in 2003 there was something different set up there: Lighthouse Picnics. Two young women from Ferryland decided to set up a business near the old lighthouse and when I spoke to them, they said they were doing well. I returned again in 2006 to find that these entrepreneurs had done so well that they purchased the lighthouse and renovated the inside. You can see the numbers of people who are willing to walk 15-20 minutes to get to the lighthouse for a picnic and a great view of the Atlantic Ocean..

This lighthouse is painted red like the one in Twillingate, but this one is made of steel whereas the other is made of concrete. I've seen a recent photo online and this lighthouse has been painted a brighter red now. I am glad because the lighthouse wasn`t in great shape until then.

Earlier in this series I stated that I don't remember seeing two lighthouses that are identical and the photos I have shared so far have shown that. However, I wonder if anyone on this list has seen one the same as those I've shared. Please let me know if you have.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...