Friday, May 06, 2011

Cape Spear Lighthouse 2







Cape Spear Lighthouse 2

Today I am sharing photos of the second lighthouse at Cape Spear which, built in the mid-fifties, may be the newest lighthouse in Newfoundland and Labrador. This lighthouse also stand on top of a steep cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Many of you are enjoying this series and have been sharing your memories of visits to Newfoundland and Labrador. I have been uploading many more lighthouse photos to my Blog (Photo of the Day Blog) over the past twelve days and encourage you to check those out as well. Tomorrow I will share more photos of this particular lighthouse.

You can see both lighthouses in the first two photos which gives you an idea of how close together they are. The third photo was taken on a different day as the sun rose, casting a reddish light on the lighthouse and cliff. The light was on and as it rotated I waited for it to be visible in the photo.

I used my wide angle lens to make the third image. I've mentioned previously that I like making this type of image of lighthouses because it emphasizes the sky and, in this case makes the cliff and lighthouse look small. I looked up the cliff to make the next two photos with the lighthouse and cliff against the sky with interesting clouds.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

1 comment:

William F. Matthews said...

I found the third and fourth pics (vertical up) fantastic. What a sky to background a lighthouse!

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...