Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Boats 4





Many of you were touched by the photos of broken boats I shared yesterday. I have many more of those type of images and will share them at a later date. This morning I chose a selection of photos that show a variety of boats taken in the 70s and 80s. As I said yesterday, this series of photographs shows part of our culture which has been changing drastically over the past few decades.

It was the summer of 1977 when II went to Beothuck Park near Grand Falls-Windsor to photograph a sunset. A small sailboat with a lone occupant was sailing on Rushy Pond and happened to sail between me and the sun just as it started to sink below the trees in the background. Of course, I made several images of the boat in the sunset and one of them was used as a cover of a provincial tourism publication at the time.

The second photo was taken on a very cold morning in King's Point during the winter of 1972 and shows a single boat hauled up on a fishing stage. I think that stage is gone now. The third image shows a few people in one of several small boats moored just offshore in St. Shott's, located on the southern Avalon Peninsula. The fourth image also shows boats on a foggy day in St. Shott's. The small boat filled with snow and ice was taken in Quidi Vidi Village in the winter of 1982.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.


No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...