Sunday, February 06, 2011

Winter Birds





I am attaching a few of the several comments I received regarding yesterday's post on the Bohemian Waxwings.

There was a flock of about 15 in my backyard yesterday (Newtown Road, St. John's). Didn't get a picture but they did have the reddish feathers on their heads and also noticed the yellow at the end of their tails. They were trying to feed off a red berry that grows on a plant in the garden. No other birds have ever attempted to eat those berries. Threw out some bird seed but they ignored that. What a beautiful looking bird!

Thank you for these Bruce. I saw them on the same day you did. I looked out the window and there were 'about' 5 or 6 in a tree... I had no idea what they were, but thought the same thing as you... 'they may be some type of grosbeak I hadn't seen before.".. They were so different, with that soft grey and I could see what I thought was a little 'red'... this is definitely the bird I saw. Poor little guys, it was around then we've had the coldest day/night yet...

Oh thank you for taking those photos! That bird is gorgeous! I have feeders here and we see about 20 species of birds, but I have never seen that one! Wow!

We've seen them here in our backyard in Milton, MA, USA ... and at the Landing in Antigonish, Nova Scotia when we were visiting during the summer many years ago. They've come to our yard in flocks ... stay for a bit and then take off .. not to be seen for a few more years.

I have seen them at my son's feeder in Ottawa....

I saw a bunch of these around here on Thursday, when I was shoveling. I couldn't see them real close, but I noticed the yellow on the tail and the tuft on the head. They were looking hungry, so I put out some seed. Some birds ate the seeds, but I don't know it was them or not. I put out seeds again yesterday, that were not eaten.

This morning I am sharing photos of other species that I photographed on Thursday, one of the coldest we've had this winter. That explains why the birds have "fluffed" their feathers to help keep them warm. The photos shows gray jays, a black-capped chickadee and a junco (the most abundant bird around here in recent years) which are daily visitors during all seasons. However, because I have two cats and my son also has two cats, I don't feed them once the weather warms up and the cats are out more.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...