Thursday, February 10, 2011

Outbuildings






Thanks for the comments on my photos of King's Point. Two former students have provided more information which you may be interested in.

Nostalgia at its finest. The first photo is showing lots of land, now there are houses built all around that area. The school is still the same with some cosmetic changes. It is rented out for birthday parties, family gatherings etc. and the basement is a bowling alley. I sure do remember Cecil's place, pool table and jute box, now that is a great memory. The building is long gone but the wonderful teenage memories remain.

My memories of Cec's are mild I'm sure compared to many who hung out there, but I do have some. And the school... amazing when I think back. I seem to keep repeating the word 'simple' these days. Simple youth. Simple memories. It's all good.

What a beautiful little town back then. Hope it still looks the same and who wouldn't want to reside there. I was living in Argentia during 71-72, wish I had visited King's Point during that time.

This morning I chose photos of outbuildings that I know for sure are gone for good. As I photographed old houses and outbuildings I was aware that I was documenting history because I knew they would be gone in the future. The first photo shows three outbuildings in Chapel's Cove, Conception Day all of which were torn down over the years. The small red barn in Holyrood was owned by friends and was taken down several years ago. The photo of a large barn in Deer Lake was taken down in the early 80's, not long after I made this winter image. I think the Insectarium is built near the spot this photo was made. The house and outbuilding in Colliers, Conception Bay disappeared not too long after I took the the last photo.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...