Sunday, February 20, 2011

Whooping Crane





The first whooping crane I had seen was in the Calgary Zoo and I made a few images of it even though it was just sitting on the ground. I zoomed in close enough to get a few decent close-ups of its head and just as I was leaving its enclosure it stood up and started picking at something in the water. We were on a tight time limit by the time and I couldn't stay to get more photos of this large bird.

As you know, the whooping crane is an endangered species with less than 500 left in the world. I've seen several shows where scientists take eggs from nests and hatch them in captivity. Apparently whooping cranes lay two or more eggs but only raise one chick so removing fertilized eggs to raise young birds elsewhere sounds like a good idea. I believe this is helping increase the numbers of whooping cranes, the tallest birds we have in North America. Hopefully I will get an opportunity to photograph these birds in the wild someday.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...