Monday, June 07, 2010

Primates







When I visited the Calgary Zoo, I was able to photograph several species of primates and have already shared images of the Western Lowland Gorilla. This morning I am sharing images of three different animals and you can see more of them at: http://www.lanephotography.com/animals/primates/primates_01.htm

When I saw a pink-faced primate in a fairly large enclosure surrounded by a wire fence, I thought it was a baboon. It was only when I searched the Calgary Zoo web site that I learned it was a Japanese Macaque. I remember seeing documentaries of them swimming in the hot springs in Japan.

The Pygmy Marmoset is the smallest primate on the planet and I estimated that the one in the photo was around 6 inches long, not including the tail. I was lucky to capture such a good image because it was behind a glass in a fairly dark enclosure.

The Mongoose Lemur was no more than six feet from me when I took this photo. It was fairly dark in its enclosure and most of the photos I made were out of focus or blurry because of camera movement. When it looked up the lighting was a little better and I was lucky to get this exposure.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...