Sunday, June 27, 2010

Flowers







The lighting late in the evening, just before the sun sets, is excellent for making photographs. Today I am sharing a few images I made after I photographed the woodpecker a couple of evenings ago.

I love photographing lupines and have thousands in my collection. One would think that I wouldn't bother taking more, but each year I continue to photograph them. When I first moved to Holyrood 28 years ago, part of my back yard was like a gravel pit - mostly rock. I noticed fields of lupines along the sides of the roads and railway tracks in the Holyrood area and since they were growing in rocky soil, I decided to collect seeds and disperse them around the rocky areas in my yard. I did this for a few years and had fields of lupines in my yard. When I moved to my new house, I threw lupine seeds around the rocky areas, and now have these beautiful flowers growing here as well.

I planted the pink rhododendron several years ago and photograph the flowers most years. It has not grown as fast as I had thought, but it is now 3 feet high (tripled its size from planting) and producing beautiful flowers. I liked the effect of the light filtering through the petals of the individual flowers in today's images.


No comments:

Lupines

Lupines I will share photos of Lupines to my most recent Lupines Facebook Album over the next few days. I really like lupines and, when I mo...