Sunday, February 08, 2009

Lost




I have been making photographs around Newfoundland and Labrador since 1970 and one of my constant themes has been Houses and Outbuildings. I have many slides and digital images of structures that no longer exist. Over the next few days I plan to share some of these photographs.

The first image was taken in Bay Bulls in the early 80s. I saw a young boy on a bike, stopped the car and composed the shot before he passed by me. It was taken in a hurry! The first house on the left no longer exists. On another trip to the area I was making more photos of the house, when the owner approached and asked if I wanted to see the interior. It had been abandoned for years and I took a few slides as I was given a tour. The next time I drove by, all that was left of the building was a brick chimney, and that too disappeared not long afterwards.

The second photo of the barns was taken in Chapels Cove in the early 80s. Since it is only a few minutes drive from my home, I visit this area often. The buildings were torn down not too long after I made this image.

The small barn in the third photo was taken down around 4 years ago. I know the owner and it was a difficult decision for her to have it removed, but it had deteriorated to the point that it was no longer useful.

These photos have become more valuable from an historical point of view because they represent a part of our culture that is gone forever.


No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...