Sunday, May 27, 2007

Caribou

A baby caribou feeds on the barrens near St. Shott's on the Southern Avalon Peninsula while I photograph it. This baby was alone and came within 10 feet of me. It was "crying" and I assumed it had wandered away from its mother, but there were no adults in sight. After a few minutes, it wandered off, leaving me with photos and memories, both of which I am able to share with you today.

These photos were taken with slide film in the mid-nineties when there were around 6 000 caribou in the herd (now numbering around 300 animals).




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are caribou calves always white or pale colored when this young? I ask b/c Native Americans on the continent believe that white buffalo calves signify luck/blessings or other "good stuff" from the Great Spirit or whatever term the reader prefers. Judie

K. Bruce Lane - Photo of the Day said...

All the ones I've seen are similar to the one in the photos.

While white caribou calves are common, I certainly was blessed to have seen and photographed one this close.

:)

bearkat said...

I am enjoying your pictures so much...this was my awww...for the day. I love spring time and seeing all the new "babes"...thanks Bruce!!

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...