Thursday, May 10, 2007

Daffodils

Yesterday was a beautiful day here on the island of Newfoundland. It was sunny and warm (18°C/66°F). I had an opportunity to photograph the daffodils that have been brave enough to poke their heads up through the soil.

I took these photos around 7:15 PM when the sun was getting lower in the sky. The second image was cropped from a larger one because I wanted to show the reproductive parts of the flower. Daffodils reproduce both sexually and asexually - they can produce seed, but they also grow from bulbs. I guess they had to develop that characteristic in order to survive as a species. Any plant that blooms as soon as the days get longer, and ground warms a little, need both methods of reproduction.

The bright yellow daffodils certainly are a bright spot in my back yard this week! Our crocuses came up and disappeared almost immediately about 2 weeks ago. Our tulips are growing but it will be a while before they bloom. When they do, I'll share a few photos with you.




1 comment:

bearkat said...

my favorite spring flowers!!! Mine are finished with as well as the tulips...but they were early this year...gotta love it when you see those first signs of spring!!...Thanks Bruce :)

People

People It's been a while since I shared photos of people going about their daily activities, but I'll add more photos to my People 4...