Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ravenna 4









Ravenna 4

As I walked around the Italian city of Ravenna, I photographed several sarcophagi along the pathways, next to churches and in a few gardens. We were told that some of them date back to the middle of the first century. Apparently they contain the bodies of early Christians. I thought it a little strange to see the sarcophagi on display in several Italian cities but in Ravenna, they were outside and there were quite a few of them.

I've also included an image of a small monument about Dante. Our tour guide said that Dante's body was moved out of his tomb and buried in a nearby garden because people were worried that his body may have been stolen during the Second World War. This monument marks the spot where his body was hidden until the end of the war. Apparently, his body was moved a few times over the years.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...