Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Red Currants






While in Nova Scotia I visited the Annapolis Valley with the intention of photographing farmhouses. I saw an interesting place called the Tangled Garden and decided to check it out. I took a tour through a lovely garden with flowers, herbs, vegetables, fruit bushes and trees. Of course, I took photographs of everything.

This morning I chose images of red currants, which were almost entirely ripe this early in the summer. I took several photos of ripening fruit including a few close-ups. The first image shows how the fruit grows on the bushes - and there were lots of berries. I zoomed in for a closer view showing the fruit, branches and leaves. To make the third image I shot towards a shaded area knowing that the camera would expose for the berries, leaving the shade almost black. With backlighting you can see the seeds within the fruit.

I planted a red currant bush a few weeks ago and was interested to see the fruit on these bushes already. I also planted a black currant bush as well. I remember that when I was a young boy, my grandparents had both black currant and red currant bushes and I would pick the berries for "Nan" who made tasty jellies from them. Apparently these berries, especially the black currants, are very high in Vitamin C and I am looking forward to eating them.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...