Friday, July 02, 2010

Fishermen 3








I shared a colour version of the shed in the first photo on May 30 and decided to share a composite photograph that I created using the same image. The fisherman faded into the bright sky gives a "ghostlike" effect and the b & w gives the impression of the past. The fisherman was actually a cardboard enlargement of an old photograph that was on display in Battle Harbour. One could interpret the image as representing the fishery of the past.

The photographs of the young boys cutting tongues from the large cod on the wharf in Tors Cove was taken in the early 80s. You can see that the codfish were big in those days and the boys were probably going to sell the cod tongues - their first steps into the cod fishery. If they were 12 when I took the photo, they are in their forties by now. I wonder if they remember spending time on the wharf when fishermen brought their catch to shore.

I am heading to Nova Scotia for a few days and will not be sending my Photo of the Day while I am gone.

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...