Sunday, September 21, 2008

N - Northern Lights




During my only visit to Battle Harbour in 2004, I stayed up until 3 am photographing the northern lights , also known as the aurora borealis. It was the first time I'd seen such a brilliant display.

After experimenting, Mark (my son who also likes photography) and I decided that 20 second exposures with aperture automatically setting at f 4.5 with an ISO of 800 would give decent results. The long exposure time enabled us to capture the "motion" of the northern lights. The reddish-purple glow above the church in the first two photos and the greenish streaks in the third image show the motion in a 20 second time frame. Of course all photos were shot using a tripod.

Battle Harbour was a fantastic place to watch (and photograph) the northern lights because it is an island off Labrador with a totally dark sky.

There are 18 additional photos on my Northern Lights Gallery at:
http://lanephotography.com/northern_lights/northern_lights.htm .

If you are interested in seeing photos of the church, go to my Blog
http://kbrucelane.blogspot.com/ and search for James. There is a video of St. James's Church in the post from September 29, 2007.

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...