Saturday, August 02, 2008

Common Blue Damselfly




During a hike earlier this week, I saw a delicate blue insect flying nearby. I decided to photograph it, but it didn't stay still very long in one spot. When it finally landed on a leaf, I tried to focus quickly, but the camera wouldn't lock on the insect using auto-focus so I switched to manual focus and took the first photo above. Just after I made the image, the insect moved to another spot. It stayed on the alder leaf for over a minute and I was able to capture a few more images before it flew away.

I included the first photo to show its relative size and how it isn't easy to see, despite the beautiful blue colour. The second photo shows a closer view and the third was cropped from the second. While cropping the photo, I noticed a small round object on the leaf and wonder if it was laying eggs.

This is the first time I have photographed this beautiful insect and observed it closely. I really like the colours and markings and the interesting shape the markings make on the head.

I identified it as a common blue damselfly. However, several people said that the frog I identified as a bullfrog is actually a green frog, so I may be wrong with this identification as well. I only have identification books for birds and wildflowers so I have to depend on the Internet and the people on my list where there is always someone who can help. :)


No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...