Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dory





As I stated last week, the sky was overcast and lighting dull when I visited the Coast of Bays last week. I have been taking you on a virtual tour of the communities, but this morning I am sharing three versions of the same image.
The first photo shows a dory (A dory is a small, shallow-draft boat, about five to seven metres (15 to 22 feet) long. It is is a lightweight and versatile boat with high sides, a flat bottom and sharp bows.) floating in Belloram Harbour about 20 metres offshore. Because of the lighting and composition, the photo is rather dull and boring.

I converted the image to b & w, increased the brightness and contrast, then cropped out most of the water. I liked the result for two reasons: the position of the boat and lack of dull colours made the image more interesting.

Next, I used a special effect in my photo manipulation program to emphasize the contrast. I also cropped it differently so the boat was positioned in the left third of the image.

In my opinion, both cropped images are more interesting than the original.


No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...