Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Fortress Louisbourg














Fortress Louisbourg

In 2005, I visited Fortress Louisbourg on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia.  We arrived at the park around 2:00 in the afternoon and had to leave at closing time, 5:00.  We had a very short time there and I promised that should the opportunity arise, I would go back and spend a full day.  I did this on August 28 of this year. 

If you have never been there, I highly recommend it!  The site has been partially restored from its heyday in the 1700s. Here is a quote from their website.


The Fortress of Louisbourg is the largest reconstruction project in North America. The original settlement was founded in 1713 by the French and developed over several decades into a thriving center for fishing and trade. Fortified against the threat of British invasion during the turbulent time of empire-building, Louisbourg was besieged twice before finally being destroyed in the 1760s. The site lay untouched until well into modern times, when archaeologists began to reconstruct the fortress as it was in the 18th century.

Over the next while, I will share photos of this impressive attraction.  As you view them, keep in mind that this is a national park and the characters you see dressed in period costumes are acting and they keep in character at all times.  They dress, talk and act as characters who lived there nearly 300 years ago.


Feel free to share with family and friends.


Photos of the Day are for sale as:

You can view more of my photos on my website and Facebook Pages:

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...