Saturday, November 26, 2011

Basilica di San Vitale 1










Basilica di San Vitale 1

For the next few days I wish to share photos of the Basilica di San Vitale, one of the most important examples of early Christian Byzantine art and architecture in Western Europe. My wife and I took a tour of the famous mosaics in Ravenna, Italy that date back to the 500s and that included a tour of two churches and a walking tour through the Old Town.

As we walked into the building there were may sculptures that dated back to the 300s and I photographed a few before I lost sight of the group. I would have liked more time there but was not disappointed when inside the basilica. It is hard to describe the beauty of the architecture and artwork but you will see some of it in the next few days. I plan to upload ten or so to my Blog each day.

The first photo I took inside the building shows an interesting cross. The second image shows a view of the beautiful artwork on the ceiling. The others show some of the artwork and interesting architecture.

Photos of the Day are for sale as stock photographs
and photographic enlargements.
They can also be purchased as slide shows
and/or wallpapers/screensavers.

No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...