Thursday, January 28, 2010

W - White Ibis






I have photographed the white ibis every time I visited Florida. The individual shown in today's photos was foraging for food in a small body of water and I really liked the reflections of the brilliant white bird. These birds are fairly skittish so I used my 70-300mm lens to capture closer views without scaring the bird away. Today's images were cropped from the originals.

One day a young boy asked when I was going to finish my collection and when I asked what collection he was talking about, he referred to my "picture collection". I chuckled at the time and, after thinking about what he said, told him that my collection will probably never be finished because as long as I can see photos, I want to take them.

Recently someone asked if I get bored going to Florida so often and I responded that I didn't because there was always something different to see there. While each year I make similar photographs, they are all different and because the weather is usually good, I get ten to fourteen days of photo ops in a row that I wouldn't have at home.

Each and every bird I photograph in Florida is an "exotic" bird to me because most are not birds I see here in Newfoundland and Labrador. As well, Florida birds are more used to people and they don't fly away until I get fairly close.

Feel free to check other white ibis photos at: http://www.lanephotography.com/birds/white_ibis/white_ibis_01.htm


No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...