Saturday, November 14, 2009

Winter






I know many of you don't want to see photos of winter yet, but the images I share today were taken in the 1970s during snowshoe hikes through the forest in Central Newfoundland. As I scan my old slides, each one brings back fond memories. As well, I realize that 30 years ago I enjoyed the same things I do today - hiking with a camera! :) Even though I was shooting slides then at a cost of fifty cents apiece, I still experimented a lot, and learned from my successes and failures.The first three photos this morning received Awards of Excellence from an organization in New Jersey.

The first was taken directly into the sun causing the ice on the trees to be highly illuminated and the branches to be silhouetted. I remember that the morning the second photo was taken was so cold that even though there was a clear, blue sky, frost was falling like snow. If you look carefully near the tops of the trees you can see the frost. When I took the photo, I placed the sun behind the fir tree so it wouldn't be too bright.

Second Falls, Leeches Brook (renamed to Thunder Falls in the 1990s) was always a favourite destination of mine in all seasons. In winter, I was usually the only one hiking to the falls on snowshoes and I enjoyed the peace and quiet as well as the beautiful scenes that I always found there.
The fourth photo was taken after I hiked about a mile up Aspen Brook. I saw a father and two sons working on their snow machine. They didn't know I took this photo. The last image was taken along a trail near the Exploits River in Grand Falls-Windsor.


No comments:

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel In May 2016, my wife and I had a pleasurable stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Alberta. Of cou...