Saturday, November 28, 2009

Twillingate Fishing Stages 2






In yesterday's post I mentioned that I am amazed that wooden fishing stages don't fall into the ocean because of rough seas, wind and ice. If you look closely at today's images you will see that parts of the structures are indeed in need of repairs.

One person replied that the sea looked calm in my photos and I responded that I don't usually do many photo shoots in rough weather - and it does get quite rough here in Newfoundland and Labrador. The early settlers of our province were fishermen from Europe who looked for sheltered harbours in which to build their tiny communities. As a result, even when the sea is very rough, it may not be quite as bad in some harbours and inlets. Twillingate is an island community that was joined to the mainland by a causeway and there are several protected harbours there.

I have made a note to send some seascape photos showing rougher seas, however, I don't have many "storm" photos. When it is really stormy, I tend to stay at home.




No comments:

George Street United Church

George Street United Church In 2006, while working on a project about religion in Newfoundland and Labrador, I visited the 150-year-old chur...