Sunday, February 18, 2007

Rescue, Sulphur Mountain, Banff National Park

Today I am sending 5 images from a series I photographed while visiting Banff. I don't usually photograph people in pain, but I thought I'd attempt to photograph this rescue. If I hadn't been using slide film, I would have sent the photos to local papers, but by the time I got the slides back, this was old news and probably of little interest. You guys are among the first to see them.
___________________________________________________________

Rescue

In 1989, I was on top of Banff and witnessed a dramatic rescue. A woman had broken her leg in a fall. When I arrived on the scene, the helicopter was about to land. It was a difficult but safe landing for the pilot who had to be extremely careful of guide wires from a communications tower.

__________________________________

Rescue workers lifted the woman onto a stretcher. The pain must have been terrific.



__________________________________

After getting the injured woman into the helicopter, the pilot had to very carefully lift off the platform. Rescue workers moved out of the way, just to be safe.


__________________________________

Once clear of the wires, the pilot headed though the valley to the nearest hospital.



No comments:

People

People It's been a while since I shared photos of people going about their daily activities, but I'll add more photos to my People 4...