Thursday, February 22, 2007

Black and White Images

I have purposely decided NOT to get caught in the trap of sending snow photos every day. We are getting another storm on Saturday and, to be honest, I don't know what they will do with all the snow in St. John's. I suspect people living in northern climes would appreciate me sending photos of subjects other than snow and winter for a couple of days.

This morning I chose two scanned slides that I converted to black and white images. The feather on the sand has always been one of my favourite photos. It was taken on the sandy beaches in Gros Morne National Park, located on the west coast of the island of Newfoundland. It looks like it may have been set up, but while walking along the beach I noticed the feather and footprints and took the time to capture the image on film. I composed the shot very carefully and, if memory serves me right after 20 years, knelt down to get the image I wanted. I liked the textures of sand and feather as well as the footprints. (I don't think they were human). It was a natural choice to convert to b&w because there was very little colour in the original image.

The peaceful scene of a sailboat in Holyrood Harbour with calm water, mist, fog and clouds was also a good choice for b&w. When I view this image I get a peaceful, calm feeling - just as I felt when I took the photo.




No comments:

Bald Eagles

Bald Eagles I spent a rainy day yesterday organizing my Facebook Albums that featured photographs of different bird species. Now, I can find...