Saturday, February 17, 2007

Birds' Nests

Today's photo theme is a little early in this part of the world, especially considering that there is a blanket of snow covering the land. However, I thought I would share a couple of photos of birds tending their nest in spring.

The adult osprey in the first photo is caring for three chicks in a nest that is located on a sign in the backwaters near Bonita Springs, Florida. I estimate that there are hundreds of small boats passing by this nest every day. As we went by I asked the driver of our boat to stop while I took a few photos. I took over 100 because it is the closest I've ever been to an osprey's nest.

The photo of the robin's nest was taken in Norris Arm, Newfoundland and Labrador in the mid 70s. I was teaching in the small town in Central Newfoundland and asked students if they knew where I could find a nest. One child said there was a nest in her yard so I went to her house during lunch. The nest was fairly high up so I climbed on the roof to get a better view. A few minutes later the mother flew in and as soon as she landed on the nest, the babies' heads popped up. I assumed they were expecting a meal, but the mother flew away as soon as she saw me. As soon as she left, the babies disappeared from view.

I waited and waited for her to return, but she was too nervous. Time was running out so I asked the people below me to use a broom to shake the branch a little. As soon as the branch moved, the birds' heads popped up, and I took this photo. I would have loved to capture the mother feeding the babies, but I was happy with the photo I got.




No comments:

Chihuahuas

Chihuahuas I am sharing photos of chihuahuas to my second album featuring pictures of this small breed of dogs. I have provided links to bot...