Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Holyrood, 1996











Holyrood, 1996

Today I am sharing photos taken on Holyrood Beach when the capelin were rolling in during the summer of 1998.  For those of you who don't live here, capelin are tiny fish that spawn on beaches around Newfoundland in early summer.  In recent years, probably because of overfishing and climate change, these fish spawn later in the year.  I have seen them rolling on the beach in late August.


As you can see, there are people with nets scooping up the fish just a few feet from the beach.  Usually, the person with the net fills other peoples' buckets.  Most people eat the fish, but others put them on their vegetable gardens.

Comments are welcome!

Feel free to share with family and friends.


Photos of the Day are for sale as:

You can view more of my photos on my website and Facebook Pages:

No comments:

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel

Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel In May 2016, my wife and I had a pleasurable stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Alberta. Of cou...