Saturday, August 02, 2014

Shasta Daisy












Shasta Daisy

As you know, I often photograph flowers around my yard and today I am sharing photos of shasta daisies.  Three years ago I purchased a single shasta daisy and planted it in a flower garden near the back of my house.  It grew well and the following year there were many more.  Last year there were too many plants for the space they were in so I dug out several and moved them to other parts of the yard where there were few flowers. Those also did very well and are now growing in three different areas of my yard.

These plants are very prolific and are spreading so much I now have to weed them out of my other flower gardens as well as my vegetables.  This years blooms were dying back this week so I cut most of them before they could produce seeds. 

To be honest, I wouldn't plant this variety again for a few reasons, the first being that they self seed and hard to control.  Secondly, they are fairly tall plants which take a beating on windy days.  Finally, there are many wild daisies growing around here they look very similar so I already have lots of white daisies.


A person on my Photo of the Day list informed me that he got rid of shasta daisies in his garden because of similar reasons.  I am interested in your experience with this variety of flower.  I am debating removing the daisies and replacing with a different perennial.  Suggestions welcome! :)

Feel free to share today's photos with family and friends.
Photos of the Day are for sale as:


No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...