Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Arches






The Arches

I've visited The Arches Provincial Park, a small scenic park along the Viking Trail, four or five times. I've created a gallery on my web site that has 51 digital photos from my most recent visits. I have others but they are slides that I haven't scanned yet.

The rocks have been eroded by the constant wave action for millions of years. I've attempted to show how the waves have shaped the arches and, if you visit my new The Arches Gallery, you can see several photos that illustrate the action. During my most recent trip in 2010 I was lucky enough to photograph people walking on the opposite side of the formation during low tide. This really gives an idea of the size of the formation.

If you want to view the 51 images go to my new Gallery at: http://www.lanephotography.com/Western/arches/the-arches.htm

I've attached a short description of the rock structures from Wikipedia.

The park is north of Gros Morne National Park near Parson's Pond along the Viking Trail, and includes a parking lot, boardwalk, and picnic area. The rock formation is composed of Ordovician aged dolomitic conglomerates of the Daniels Harbour Member of the Cow Head Group which has been eroded by sea wave action. These porous conglomerates can be oil-bearing, and areas near The Arches Provincial Park have seen some oil exploration activity.

                                                                            Wikipedia


Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...