Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Animal Tracks in Winter





Animal Tracks in Winter

Sunday was a beautiful day here in Newfoundland and Labrador which prompted me to go on my first snowshoe hike of the year. Sunny skies, cool temperatures (around -2°C, approximately 28°F) and ideal snow conditions made the hike pleasurable. The numerous snowshoe hare tracks were interesting as were the fox tracks that always seemed to be near them. I did see a few coyote tracks further up in the hills, but they weren't fresh enough to photograph.

I always find it interesting to observe tracks left in the snow by the wildlife around here. In a few places I could see where snowshoe hares sat and munched on branches of larch trees and I have included a couple of images. According the the number of tracks all along my three hour hike, snowshoe hare seem to be abundant this year.

There were fewer fox tracks, but that is to be expected. Over the years I've seen a few red foxes during my walks in the woods, but most run away as soon as they see me. On July 31, 2008, I shared images and a short description of a fox that seemed to be fairly tame and approached me on the trail. You can check the photos and description on my Blog at: http://kbrucelane.blogspot.ca/2008/07/red-fox.html

Today I am reverting to the regular format of my Photo of the Day. I will share three photos in the email version and upload 5 (sometimes a few more) to my Photo of the Day Blog. I am dropping the Newfoundland and Labrador Link of the Day.

If any of you haven't LIKED my Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/KBruceLanePhotography feel free to visit and LIKE ... there I upload a variety of images that are different than those I share on my Photo of the Day and will be starting a special offer in the next couple of days.

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Old Houses Today I started my 19th Old Houses and Outbuildings Facebook Album. I started with photos of an old house in Bareneed on the Port...