Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Humpback Whales 2











Humpback Whales 2

Today's images were made near Witless Bay along the Irish Loop and illustrate how the two whales that stayed around our boat were putting on a show. I think it was a mother and calf because one was much smaller than the other. The younger one was really showing off and was the most active.

I was lucky to capture the second photo because it had dived and everyone on the boat was looking for it when it jumped almost entirely out of the water less than 10 feet from the boat. I think it tried to splash us. I happened to have my camera ready with a wide angle lens and didn't even have time to raise the camera to my eyes to compose the image - I just pressed the shutter and was more than happy with the image I captured.



 Photos of the Day are for sale as:

No comments:

Main Beach Pond

Main Beach Pond It wasn't sunny, but it was 8°C and little wind, making it a nice Spring day for a hike to Main Beach Pond. After all th...