Thursday, June 14, 2012

Flowers












Flowers

Sunday, June 10, was supposed to be a sunny day - at least a mix of sun and cloud which was good compared to two weeks of the rain, drizzle and fog we had for the past two weeks. As a result a friend and I planned to make a trip as far as Northern Bay, along the Baccalieu Trail, to photograph a couple of icebergs in Conception Bay. Unfortunately, the sun didn't come out until we were nearly home, after being on the go for nearly 7 hours. For the next few days I plan to share a few photos taken during that day, starting with images of a few flowers in my yard before we left.

I've mentioned several times before that taking photos of flowers on overcast days is a good idea because the lighting is softer and there is less harsh contrast than in bright sun. It was really dull when I made today's photos, but the results were nice.

I should remember the name of the flower in the first image because a member of this list from British Columbia sent me seeds last year (thanks again Art). I planted the seeds in a friend's greenhouse but, by the time they were planted, they were less than an inch high and didn't grow much in the cool, wet weather we had last summer. This spring I was surprised that they started to grow and several of them are already flowering.

The little yellow flowers are lemon thyme. My wife purchased 1 small plant three years ago and now there are three fairly large plants growing in the garden. This plant can be used in the kitchen.

I have photographed dandelions, one of the most common wildflowers in this part of the world, for many years. We have eaten the leaves and made jelly from the yellow blooms, both of which are delicious. Of course, I have to keep them out of the vegetable and flower gardens and that is a tough job!

Photos of the Day are for sale as:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first pictures are Columbines and very pretty, sorry for your bad luck in growing them. They can be a nice,sort of bushy plant!

Posters

Posters I have been creating posters with my photos for a few years and am sharing them in my 4th Posters Album. When I see an interesting q...